Monday, November 22, 2010

Grace and Unflinching Purpose

The popular phrase, "as the crow flies" denotes taking a straight course.

Although crows are fascinating and very smart, I'm partial to eagles in today's post...

I was once blessed with witnessing the way an eagle flies straight into a storm. Yes, INTO a storm. Steady, gracefully, purposefully.

Standing in the parking lot of the Veteran's Memorial outside Taos, New Mexico, the sky was darkening, the wind was strong, a storm was brewing at the top of the mountain. A blue jay could barely fly WITH the wind and a poor sparrow looked to be flung into the ground for trying its wing against the gusts.

Then, a Golden showed them how it was done. Giving me a sideways glance as she flew overhead without a flap, not even her feathers flinched as she soared with purpose directly into the darkest center of the storm.

Wow.

I want to do that. I want to show them how it's done. I want to fly straight into each storm of this Samara, this life of struggles, with grace and unflinching purpose - as the eagle flies.

In the meantime, I'm a sparrow with bruises.

No comments:

Post a Comment