Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dharma Dreams: The Middle World

The dream:

I woke up in a hotel room as someone ran in yelling, "We have to get out now! Armed men are taking over the hotel! They are killing and torturing people!"

I could hear them scream. This must be what it’s like to be in hell.

A group of us made a run for it down the hall. We found a fire escape and then traversed down a steep rocky cliff to the narrow beach.

I felt terrible leaving all those people behind.

We walked for several hours along the narrow shoreline.

I worried that the armed men had seen us escape and would follow us.

We came across a rope ladder in the cliff side. Figuring we were far enough away, we should find out where this leads and try to send help back to the people held hostage in the hotel.

We helped each other up the flimsy rope ladder, slowly, steadily, and anxiously.

At the top, we saw a vast courtyard and a white temple in the distance. It looked inviting.

As we approached, there was a helicopter at the entrance to the temple grounds. The pilot was motionless and emotionless, like a mannequin. He said we could enter if we wanted, but that once we did, we couldn’t leave. I asked him about helping the others left behind in the hotel. He said, “They are learning to bleed.”

The temple was busy with people walking around, chatting, smiling and eating ice cream. Everyone looked extremely happy, perhaps too happy. This must be what it’s like to be in heaven.

“Would you like some ice cream?”

Something didn’t sit right with me. If heaven and hell are two extremes in duality, then how is either the correct place to be?

I knew we shouldn’t stay there. It was tempting but I knew if we stayed too long, we would be stuck there. We had to find the way back to the middle world, where it was not like hell and not like heaven.

We started looking for an invisible door back to our middle world where we belonged. I don’t know how we knew what to look for but I knew we would know it when we saw it.

We had to hurry. There wasn’t much time.

Then I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment